1) Your covering letter should be only one page in length.
2) Ensure there are no spelling or grammatical mistakes. It makes your application look rushed and unprofessional.
3) Stay relevant; be concise and straight to the point.
4) Aim for only two paragraphs within the letter.
5) Always include your name and address in the top right hand corner.
6) Address the letter to the person that is recruiting the job you are applying for; don’t use ‘Dear Sir or Madame’.
7) Highlight your skills, experience and achievements relevant to the job.
8) Use an appropriate font size and type – Times Roman or Arial in 10 point are easy to read.
9) Tailor the letter for each individual application you make.
10) Always enclose a covering letter, even when applying for a job online.